Cowichan Valley Railway No. 24

Technical Data:

  • Designation: Class C-4, 0-4-0ST (saddle tank).
  • Weight: 12 tons.
  • Built: 1900 as c/n 916.
  • BC Dept. of Railways registration # 124.
  • Boiler pressure: 150 pounds per square inch.
  • Hauling capacity on straight level track: 682 tons.
  • Gauge: narrow (36 inches).
  • Fuel: originally coal – now oil).
  • Original braking system: steam
  • Original coupler type: link and pin.
     

History:

  •  Designed for mine service, CVR No.24 originally had a short stack, no dome and a low cab (flush with the saddle tank). Saddle tanks increase adhesion and shorten engine length by eliminating the tender.
  • The locomotive was sold new as Pittsburg Eastern No.12, by the W.H. Mussens Co., of Montreal. In 1920, it was sold to Crow’s Nest Pass Coal, in Fernie, as its second
  • No.9. CNPC sold it to Elk River Colliery (also in Fernie) as its second No.4, in 1926.
  • While at Elk River Colliery a balloon-stack was installed and the wooden cab was replaced with a metal one, by a British engineer, who incorporated the porthole-type windows, used on British railways.
  • In 1958, No.4 was saved from scrapping when Gerry Wellburn purchased it to be No.24 on his fledgling Glenora & Western Railway in Deerholme. In preparation for use on the GV&R, the loco was converted from coal to oil and a tender was added to carry the fuel oil tank, making it a 0-4-0-STT.
  • In its present configuration, No.24 is very similar to the historic “Winnetonka,” the first locomotive of the Northern Pacific Railway, purchased in 1870 and now preserved as NPR No.1. From 1895 to 1948 the Winnetonka hauled logs for Polson Logging at Gray’s Harbour WA.
  • Named “Susie,” in honour of a former conductor, No.24 has been out of service since 1989, in need of boiler repairs.